Margalla Trail Runners (MTR) is going to organize the 3rd edition of Margalla Backyard Ultra. Mr. Fida Muhammad is the current CHAMPION of the 1st and 2nd editions of Margalla Backyard Ultra who did 26 and 21 laps respectively.
Backyard Ultra is the biggest Ultra-running event in the world. Where “There is No finish. There is only one finisher. The Last One Standing”.
What is BACKYARD ULTRA?
The backyard is the brainchild of Lazarus Lake, the race director of Barkley Marathons. Backyard ultra is a form of ultra-marathon race where competitors must consecutively run laps with a distance of 6.706km or exactly 6706 meters (4.167 miles) in less than one hour. When each lap is completed, the remaining time within the hour is typically used to recover for the next hour’s lap, which starts at the top of the hour. Runners continue to run laps till there is only one runner left. S/he is declared the finisher/winner once s/he runs the last lap, within the hour.
BACKYARD ULTRA RULES
- “Margalla Backyard Ultra” follows the exact same format as the famous “Big Dog’s Backyard Ultra”.
- Runners must complete 4.1-mile (6.706km or exactly 6706 meters) loop in an hour until only 1 runner remains.
- The bell will be sounded exactly on the hour and if you have failed to make the starting area before the bell rings, then you will be disqualified from the event and will become one of the many DNF’s!
- There will be only 1 athlete who does not receive a DNF (Did Not Finish) and he/she will be the champion.
- You will need to get your pacing right, as going too fast and you are going to be hanging around at the start waiting to go again, but take it too easy and you may find yourself working harder than you need to, to make the time limit.
The course is in F-9 Park and almost flat with approximately 36m (118ft) of elevation gain on each loop. It can easily be completed within the 1-hour time limit. The course is a mixture of gravel and dirt tracks.
Margalla Backyard Ultra Details:
SATURDAY on 9th December 2023
Meeting Time: 07:00 am at F-9 Park Gate 4 (F-8 Side) Islamabad, Pakistan. F-9 Park, Ravi Gate 4. You can set up camp with your support crew for the duration of the event.
Starting Time: 09:00 am
Level: Easy to Advanced
Duration: 1 hour
Terrain: Gravel and Dirt
Distance: 6.7km (4.1-mile) loop. You can run as many loops until remains last one standing
Ascent: 118ft (36 meters).
Route Link: Margalla Backyard Ultra Route
Margalla Backyard Ultra participants will receive.
• WINNER will receive a special Medal
Margalla Backyard Ultra Coordinators
Javed Ali ((+92-346-3863624)
Nicholas Berry (+44 7530 860125)
Sultan Khattak (+92-332-9942615)
Waqar Khattak (+86 139 18039445)
Margalla Trail Runners Disclaimer:
MTR short, medium, and long-distance hill/trail runs are open to everyone and anyone can join the running events. But make sure you’re fit enough to run on hills/mountains/trails continuously for at least 3 to 4 hours at a good pace. For those who want to join and will participate in the event, the sole purpose is to run and become a strong long-distance hill/mountain/trail runner. Participation in the event is at the athlete’s discretion, therefore the MTR Club is not responsible for the participants’ actions. MTR is a non-registered body and cannot be held liable for anything including but not limited to any loss, theft, damage, or injury to property or persons whether arising in contract, negligence, equity, or otherwise. Additionally, all athletes should use due care under the circumstances to comply with all of Pakistan’s rules, regulations, statutes, and laws. Your decision to voluntarily partake in the race signifies your acknowledgment of the disclaimer and that you shall not bring any legal action against organizers of any claim.