Welcome to Rocky’s Backyard Ultra where the setting is magical and the miles are earned. Our race takes place within the boundaries of the pristine YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center which makes Rocky’s, to our knowledge, the highest organized Backyard Ultra in the world!
Much of the course runs the perimeter of Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) and is on 100% genuine Rocky Mountain singletrack. Each lap boasts around 500 feet of gain and equal loss. Being that this course sits between 7,930’ and 8060’, every lap you run will be an achievement.
From camp, you’ll run west toward RMNP and start your first ascent of Rocky’s course. It’s gradual but noticeable. A hairpin turn onto the Glacier Creek Trail will send you downhill along one of the most beautiful and fun segments of trail in the area. The trail runs above/alongside Glacier Creek, which starts in the heart of RMNP. You’ll ebb and flow with the Glacier Creek for about a mile until you leave it to run the Eastern boundary of the YMCA of the Rockies on the Wind River Trail. This is the second noticeable ascent of the loop that will include one stream crossing, beaver ponds, and visiting both sides of Dorsey pond. You’ll likely encounter wildlife along this part of the course too – elk, deer, bear, and many smaller animals are all frequent guests.
With a late October race date, you’ll never quite know what to expect. We do know that the fall feels will be on full display. Weather, though, can be a little more temperamental. Race day could be dry and warm or under a foot of snow. Either way, it’s all part of an amazing adventure that awaits you in Rocky’s Backyard Ultra!
Our race will take place entirely on the campus for the YMCA of the Rockies which borders Rocky Mountain National Park.This is sure to be one of the most scenic Backyard races with a focus on bringing and involving the whole family. The YMCA of the Rockies will be hosting us with open arms and has countless activities for all ages
- Race begins promptly at 8AM
- Warning bells will be given 3, 2, and 1 minutes prior to each start
- Race continues at the start of every hour as long as there are multiple runners on the course.
- The only way to win is to complete the course when no other runner can
- There can be only one finisher – all others will receive DNF and your total “yards” will be recorded
- If there is a loop that no runner completes, there is no winner
- Once a loop starts, no runner can leave the course (except for restrooms)
- No personal aid can be given during a loop
- No artificial aids are allowed (including trekking poles)
- Each loop must be completed within an hour to be counted
- Slower runners must allow passes
Registration Fees & Cancellation
Backyard Ultra – $100 + YMCA day pass
One Banger (single lap) – $50
Email Kevin@runningwildusa.com for special pricing if you are an Estes Valley Student or Estes Valley Trail Runners member.
Your registration fee helps us pay for the costs of race production. This money is spent long before you arrive at the start line.
There are no refunds allowed for any reason including race cancellation. Any request for a refund will receive a polite but firm “no” with a direct link to this policy. If you disagree with this policy; please don’t register.