Rocky Road Adventures is so excited to bring you all a Backyard Ultra right here in rural Nevada.
YOU’LL WANT JOIN US HERE IN LINCOLN COUNTY NEVADA FOR THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE OF THE BODY AND BATTLE OF THE MIND!
2nd Annual ROCKY’S BACKYARD ULTRA
~ RURAL NEVADA HAS SO MUCH TO OFFER >> GHOST TOWNS, HISTORY, BEAUTIFUL SCENERY, & EASY-GOING LIFE ~
WHAT IS A BACKYARD ULTRA?
Participants will run a 4.1667 mile loop every hour until only one person is standing. You have one hour to finish the loop once it has started. If you finish a loop within the hour, you may start the next hour’s loop provided you are in the start corral when the next hour starts. If you do not finish within the hour, you are out of the race and considered a DNF.
- You may have a small crew of 2 people and set up at the race starting area, aka a pit stop area.
- All runners are required to be in the starting corral before the top of the hour.
- We will give you a 3 minute, 2 minute, and 1-minute warning to get lined up for the next loop.
- Failure to line up in the starting corral will result in disqualification of the runner. Participants must start a new loop at the sounding of the bell starting the loop.
- Absolutely NO late starts will be allowed.
- Once you are on the course, you are not allowed any aid from your crew or any other individual.
- No non-competitors on the course (including eliminated runners). Except for restrooms, competitors may not leave the course until each loop is completed.
- Runners are responsible for their aid on course.
- You must be on and stay on the course unless you need to use the bathroom.
- No artificial aids (including trekking poles) are allowed.
- Once you are back to the start and assuming you have finished within the hour, you may use the bathroom, eat, drink, sleep, ponder the next loop, etc., but you MUST be back in the start corral at the beginning of the hour to continue into the next hour’s loop.
- Runners will continue until ONE runner completes a FINAL lap. (i.e. If there are two runners left and one does not complete the loop, then the one that completed the loop will be declared the winner).
- The time needed to complete the loop does not matter, only that the runner be back at the start before the hour expires. Upon successful completion of the loop, all runners are considered “tied”. Speed does not matter in this event.
- If no runner can complete one more loop than anyone else, there is no winner.
- No pacers whatsoever.
- Stay on the course.
WHERE & WHEN:
CATHEDRAL GORGE STATE PARK, PANACA NEVADA -Group Use Area
APRIL 1st, 2023
RACE START AT PRECISELY 8:00 am
There will be a day course and a night course.
Day Course is a loop course and about 25% road running & the other 75% will be MTB single track / hiking trail. Day course has approximately 292 ft total climbing. The uphill is gradual in between miles 1.5 to 2.5 (approx.) and has downhill / straight’ish areas in between. The course starts out on road for approx. 1.5 miles, then turns into trail running to finish. After mile 2.5, it is downhill / flat trail running.
Night Course is an out -n- back course and the opposite than day course, it will be 75% road running & 25% dirt road / trail running. The course starts out on road, easy running. Approximately mile 1.5, course turns to grated gravel road for about a quarter of a mile then runners will run about a half of a mile of trails within the park, turn around and run same course back to start/finish. This course has approx. 117 ft in total elevation gain.
*Both courses are within the state park and there could be some small amount of traffic. There will be signage for drivers but as a runner be mindful to the road and drivers / non-competitors.
- The last runner standing will receive a unique award, along with the runner who makes the assist.
- All runners will receive a custom DNF medal for their participation, a custom engraved leather coaster bottle opener.
- All runners will receive a t-shirt with their entry fee and a race sticker. Shirts will have all participants listed on the back.
- All runners sign the Rocky’s Backyard Ultra banner & get a free photo download of them with banner at the end of their race.
$65 – Early Registration, July 1st 2022 – Dec 31st 2022
$75 – Jan 1st 2023 – March 30th 2023
THINGS TO KNOW:
- Registration Closes on March 30th at noon! No Race Day Registration. Race Director and State Park will need to have a count of participants & crew and have plenty of time for set up and so forth.
- Registration comes with one night of dry camping at state park, the night of April 1st. This fee also includes day use and parking in the park.
- If you decide to camp the night before, you will be responsible for camping fees. There will be a spot in registration to add another day of camping if you would like to camp Friday night also.
- Full hook-ups at park are available for $25 a night or additional $10 on top of dry camping fee, that comes with fee. All sites are first come first serve.
- Race starts at 8 am, precisely, there will be plenty of time to set up prior to race or the night before.
- Any spectators driving their own vehicles will need to pay the standard day use parking/camping fees.
- No alcohol.
- For night running, it is required that you bring/run with your own lighting. Night course will be marked with glow sticks and reflective arrows.
- If you DNF, please if you and your crew have a camp set up close to the start/finish, please kindly pack up shop so that the remaining competitors may move closer to start/finish area. Feel free to relocate wherever you want — just leave the start/finish area open for the remaining athletes and their support teams.
- DNF runners are encouraged to continue to watch and support other participants still in the races.
- Group use area that race will be held has restrooms, showers, water, and plenty of room for dry/tent camping.
- Two covered pavilions, with picnic tables one for timing and aid station, and the other for runners to charge devices, eat, relax.
- The pavilions will also have power outlets for charging of your phones/watches.
The race will provide an aid station at the start/finish pavilion with water, soda, Tailwind Nutrition, fruit, and some food items. No aid stations are provided along the course, this is one of the requirements of the race.
Runners are encouraged to bring their own preferred food and drinks as needed for an endurance race.
I, the race director, will be at the start group use area the day/night before setting and finishing up any last-minute details. Race-packet pickup will be available at 6:00 am on Friday the night before the race. Those who are not camping will be able to pick up their race packets the morning of the event from 6:00 am to 7:00 am.
You are welcome to join me Friday night, again there will be plenty of room for tents/dry camping with 2 fire pits. We will sit around the fire and talk of conquering the backyard race.
FOR FURTHER LODGING IN THE AREA PLEASE SEE RRA WEBSITE.
ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT KRISTAL ROMANS AT ROCKYROADADVENTURES@YAHOO.COM
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AND TAKING THE TIME TO READ ON THIS NEW EVENT!!
~KRISTAL ROMANS, RACE DIRECTOR